Design Director, Product Engineering
Salary/benefits package - negotiable
Are you looking for a senior leadership role based in Shenzhen? Are you after a technical, creative role that requires leadership, vision, commitment and passion? I'm recruiting for a leading manufacturer of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG), recognised for delivering innovative products, world-class manufacturing and robust technical solutions. They are looking for a Design Director, Product Engineering to take responsibility for a diverse team of Design Engineers working on new product development projects.
About the Company
My client is the partner of choice for leading FMCG companies and retailers. Their in-house capabilities include product design and development, mould making, extrusion & injection blow moulding, injection moulding, in-mould labelling, final assembly and quality assurance. Their three sites in China and a new manufacturing facility in the Caribbean export to forty countries worldwide every year. My client continues to expand and has recently acquired an injection/blow moulding company in Shenzhen. They collaborate fully with customers during the development phase to translate consumer insights into value propositions in order to manufacture innovative, consumer-orientated products.
In this Design Director role, you'll lead the team of Design Engineers working on product development projects, co-developing and collaborating with customers to a high level. A significant part of the role is ensuring the team deeply understands customer requirements and focuses on generating innovative, robust, well-engineered solutions. This is a technical, creative role that requires leadership, vision, commitment and passion.
Responsibilities include managing China-based design teams through the full NPI process, from concept to stable production. Specific duties include:
* Direct and oversee a team of circa 50 Designers and Engineers to design a wide range of consumer products, ranging from simple brushes through to sophisticated electromechanical devices
* Manage the activities of the FEI (front-end innovation), ID, Design Engineering and Project Engineering teams
* Enable seamless communication with customers through email, conference calls and face- to-face meetings in China and abroad
* Manage internal communication with colleagues to ensure alignment and efficiency
* Ensure drawings and designs are completed on time
* Ensure all design work is supported by detailed specifications that adhere to established standards, particularly relating to realistic tolerances to deliver the required product performance
* Ensure compliance with the requirements of the NPI process at each stage of design
* Drive higher levels of rigour and Engineering analysis into the FEI stage of development
* Monitor the RFQ/proposal process to ensure organisational goals are met
* Manage the training and development of the team to ensure world-class standards
* This role requires creative problem-solving, patience, and active motivation of teams
Skills and experience
* Fluent written and spoken English
* Excellent Design and Engineering skills, with a talent for fact-based analysis
* Dynamic, positive approach to work
* Strong Leader
* 10-15 years of relevant experience in consumer product Engineering/Design
* Creative problem solver
* Commercially astute
* Strong communicator with team and peers
* Broad technical perspective
* Detailed knowledge and experience of mass-manufacturing techniques and materials
* Strong advocate of process-driven development
* Solid working knowledge of statistical analysis techniques
* Knowledgeable about principles of Design, Engineering, and Manufacturing technologies, particularly relating to high volume production
Only applicants with full working rights for China will be considered for this role.